Festive Season – Ready Steady Bake
Entering the late stage of festive baking can become hectic. Running around for the ingredients, do timeous soaking and all the other necessary stuff to ensure a successful Xmas cake for the family.
Well as we all know - what you need is at Linda’s your one and only Baking Partner all year round.
For that special Xmas Cake we decided to place an interesting fruit cake recipe for the Linda’s Baking family. – Our DUNDEE STYLED CAKE and to make sure we also place info on HOW TO PREPARE TINS FOR FRUIT CAKE BAKING
The Linda’s Team wish you “fruitful” baking for the festive season.
DUNDEE STYLED CAKE - Recipe
- 175g butter / margarine
- 175g caramel brown sugar
- 3 extra-large eggs
- 200g cake flour
- 50g ground almonds
- 10ml baking powder
- 5ml cinnamon ground
- 5ml cardamom ground
- 2ml nutmeg ground
- 500g cake mix – sultanas / raisins
- 200g cherries
- 125g mixed peel
- 100g chopped almonds
- Grated rind of one orange
- 50ml brandy
- 100g whole almonds – to decorate
- Pre-heat oven to 160˚C, grease and prepare tins – 1 x 20cn sponge tin OR 1 x 25cm loaf pan
- Cream the butter and sugar until creamy, add eggs one by one, beating well after each addition, add the brandy
- Sift the flour, baking powder and spices together
- Fold into the egg mixture, stir well
- Add the remaining ingredients, blend well
- Spoon into prepared tin, pack nuts on top of batter and bake for 60 min @ 160˚C then turn down the temperature to 140˚C for the remainder of the time
- Pour brandy over hot cake and stand to cool completely in tin – overnight
- Brush with extra brandy before wrapping in cling and then in cellophane to store.
HOW TO PREPARE TINS FOR FRUIT CAKE BAKING
- Grease tins with Tin glide or Spray and Cook
- Line tin with baking paper – sides and bottom
- Make a collar to go on the outside of the pan from corrugated cardboard
- Cut a lid and base or place pans in a beer box to insulate them
- TIP: For large cakes place a small bowl of water at the base of the oven to prevent the cakes from drying out to quickly during baking
- TIP: Bake fruit cakes at lower temperature to prevent burning
- TIP: add 10ml liquid glycerine to the cake mixture if the cake is going to stand for a while, this will prevent drying out
- TIP: soak fruit in hot tea / brandy to add moisture in the final product
- TIP: chopped nuts to prevent crumbling and breaking when cutting
- NEVER STORE FRUIT CAKE IN FOIL – the foil reacts with the sugars and alcohol.
Happy baking and send us your views on the Dundee Styled Cake.
The Linda’s Team